Designer in the Spotlight – Darren Genner

Darren Genner and Simona Castagna are award winning kitchen and bathroom designers, and founders of Studio Minosa.

Qualifications:

Trade qualified Wood Machinist, Certificate IV in Design of Kitchens, Bathrooms and Interior Spaces (kitchen specialty)

Current job:

I am joint owner of Studio Minosa (with Simona Castagna)

How long have you been in the industry?

I left school and joined the industry in 1987 as an apprentice wood machinist.

When did you first get interested in design?

CAD got me interested in the early 90’s. I was drawn to the ability to draw and manufacture so I got involved in this, mainly in kitchens. I started in bathrooms when we started Minosa.

What did you enjoy most about studying your Certificate IV in Design of Kitchens, Bathrooms and Interior Spaces?

DTA made the course very engaging, the trainers are very knowledgeable and it is all put together in an enjoyable fashion.
And how has this qualification benefitted your work? It was a great refresh, there were some elements I picked up from the trainers that made me think. Overall it was a great experience and the knowledge was refreshed.

What inspired you to get the qualification?

Mainly I feel it should be supported by Designers who charge a fee for their service. We do not manufacture and our business is design. It is important for our industry to become more professional; there are far too many free measure and quotes and education is the key for fee for service designers in the industry.

What advice do you have for others who are thinking about training in kitchen and bathroom design?

DO it! Support the industry, the more certified designers (CKD’s and CBD’s) out there the stronger presence we will have. If you are not a kitchen or bathroom specialist you will get a great deal out of it. When I did it I had been in the industry for 27 years and I found it very engaging and helpful.

This interview with Darren was undertaken in 2013 after he completed his Kitchen and Bathroom Design qualifcation.

Scroll to Top