Designer in the Spotlight – Alicia Jeffries

Qualifications:

Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration and I have almost finished the Certificate IV in Design of Kitchens, Bathrooms and Interior Spaces with DTA.

Current job:

Working Full time as a Design Assistant at Mint Kitchens in Moonee Ponds (Melbourne).

How long have you been in the industry?

I started actively trying to network within the industry in my second semester of my interior design course. The following year I did some voluntary work to try and pick up as much as I could about what a day in the life of a designer looked like and how they went about tackling their projects and communicating with clients. I was then fortunate enough to start working full time, and have been doing so for over a year now and absolutely loving the variety every day!

When did you first get interested in design?

From a young age I can always remember being interested in interior design and ‘organizing space’, frequently re arranging my bedroom into numerous different layouts! As I grew older I began to realize that I had a love for customized cabinetry and how it could be designed to suit a space in any way and create functional and practical storage solutions. From here I decided that my passion was organizing space, and particularly kitchen design.

What do you enjoy most about studying the Certificate IV in Design of Kitchens, Bathrooms and Interior Spaces?

I love that the course is so detailed about kitchen and bathroom design and really focuses on the significant aspects of both rooms and things that are very important to keep in mind when designing such a space. The course is also online and allows you to work through it at your own pace which has been great for me to fit in around full-time work!

How is this qualification benefiting your work?

Whilst having a very hands on role across different kitchen and bathroom projects through my full time work, the course has provided me with the knowledge of different standards and technical information that I now rely on day to day to make sure I am dotting my i’s and crossing my t’s.

What inspired you to enrol in this qualification?

After having wanted to focus on Kitchens and Bathrooms, rather than all areas in Interior Design, I began looking into courses that may be more tailored towards the industry and came across DTA. As an industry partner with the Kitchen and Bathroom Designers Institute (KBDi) it is well recognised and allow me to apply to be a Certified Kitchen Designer and a Certified Bathroom Designer once I also have four years of industry experience.

What advice do you have for others who are thinking about training in kitchen and bathroom design?

It is a must! I think without it a designer may lack the practical understanding of what goes on when and how all the different trades are involved to bring the project to life. The course also covers good design practices, drawing skills and communication skills which are all very important to understand, especially when you have multiple projects on the go!

This interview was undertaken whilst Alicia was completing her studies with DTA. She has since completed the qualification and is still working as an Interior Designer with Mint Kitchens.

Scroll to Top