Certificate IV in Kitchen and Bathroom Design
Nationally recognised course code MSF40318
This course is the only specialised qualification in Australia for professionals designing kitchens, bathrooms and other spaces including built in cabinetry in residential homes.
At the end of this course, students are equipped to design and prepare documentation for residential spaces including kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, entertainment areas, studies and have general knowledge in other areas that include built in cabinetry.
The course covers the following areas of kitchen and bathroom design:
- Initial Enquiry
An opportunity for the Designer to engage and connect with the Client to determine the scope of work, the design services required, discuss anticipated design fees and formalise this in a contract.
- Design Brief
Information gathering where questions are posed to determine how the space will be used and what existing parameters need to be accommodated. This information if analysed and prioritised to form a design brief which will forms a measure against the success of the design.
- Site Evaluation
Using proforma documents help to capture technical information and site observations, including site conditions, services and other trade related requirements. Using measuring equipment for accuracy of data coupled with detailed record keeping to ensure the site specifics are considered as part of the design process.
- Design Development
Proforma documents help to capture technical information and site observations, including site conditions, services and other trade related requirements. Measuring equipment for accuracy of data coupled with detailed record keeping to ensure the site specifics are considered as part of the design process.
- Initial Presentation
Conveying ideas to the Client and presenting the benefits that respond to the design brief using 2D and 3D CAD. Gaining Client feedback and refining solutions to enhance the solution.
- Refine & finalise documentation
Australian Standards for technical drawings to ensure clear communication between Client, Designer and Trades. The plans, elevations, sections, and services drawings combined with the specification of all fixtures, fittings, materials and equipment to form a comprehensive set of documents ready for procurement.
- Procurement & Contract
Engaging with the suppliers to collate pricing and present estimates or quotations to the Client. This is formalised in a contract for building works.
Preparing a sequence of events to reflect the required work and anticipated timeframes. Please note that some states have licencing requirements for project managing of building works. This course does not have a licencing outcome.
- This course is multi-modal with a combination of distance (online) learning and remote private classes
- Convenient learning from home, work or your preferred place of study
- Flexible study mode to suit busy lifestyles
- Easy to follow online and printable resources
- Learning support available by private phone tutorials and private remote classrooms
- Nationally accredited course and industry recognised qualification throughout Australia
- Designer for a kitchen manufacturer, cabinet maker or builder
- Designer for a bathroom renovation specialist
- Work in a family business combining design with administration
- Run your own business as an independent designer
- Work in a retail environment
- Sales or specification roles in the building and construction industry
Pathways from other qualifications
If you have completed a qualification or other accredited training, you may be able to apply for Credit Transfers as your Elective Units in this course.
- Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
- Certificate IV in Design
- Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration
- Diploma of Interior Design
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design
- Certificate IV in Building and Construction
- Certificate III in Cabinet Making
Please note that all applications for Credit Transfer will be considered individually based on your actual circumstances. You can contact DTA to have your documentation (Record of Results or Statement of Attainment) reviewed for potential Credit Transfer.
We are currently taking enrolments for intakes on: 4th February or the 4th March